Monday 28 September 2009

New Hythe and Halling (Common)September 28th.

I walked round the lakes between 745am-930,weather,still,with a flat overcast sky.Most of the wildfowl were again present on Abbey Mead (very little was on Brookland again) with Wigeon,Shoveler and Gadwall still all present,2 Little Grebe were also seen,the latter species is also present on the (wader scrape).The only Warbler species seen was Chiffchaff (3).Walking through the east scrub I saw at least 6 Song thrush,which were more than likely passage birds,it is uncommon to see even one bird these days.

I had a quick walk out onto Halling Common between 1330-1430,the river was low.One of the first birds to come to my notice was a calling Cetti`s in the Hawthorns just over the first stile,a little further on I came across 6 Linnet (which I didn`t see on my last visit) and just as I had reached the salt marsh area a male and female Stonechat were flitting along the dyke below the wall,where a Snipe was flushed again.One Common Buzzard was seen over the Downs at Upper Halling.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan.
    Nice to see the variety of birds you are seeing at Halling Commmon. I am yet to see most of these. Your Halling blog makes better reading than mine when I can get down there. I might knock it on the head for a while. I enjoy reading yours. Keep it up Alan.

    ReplyDelete