Sunday 3 January 2010

clear at first,clouding over from the northeast,occasional sleet showers 8:45am-10:15.
As I pulled up in the Brookland car-park,a Grey Wagtail flew down into the marshy area at the edge of the car-park,which was a nice start.Carrion Crow,Wood Pigeon,Moorhen,Goldfinch,Blue Tit,B h Gull,L T Tit and Blackbird were also seen.Brookland lake held the usual birds Pochard,Tufted Duck,Coot,Mallard and G C Grebe.On reaching the sunken marsh,I had added,Dunnock,Song Thrush,Collared Dove,Heron and 2 overflying Herring Gulls,the first of about 20.From here I walked through the small wood out to the river hoping to flush a Woodcock,but no such luck.However the river,which was right down held,Gadwall 4,Mallard 2,Teal 60,Redshank 2 and one lone Lapwing.As I walked back I flushed a Snipe,a Wren and a Reed Bunting.The walk round the river to Abbey Mead was rather quite and I only added,Pheasant 1,Greenfinch 2,Bullfinch 2 and 1 calling Cetti`s (which is unusual to here one call at this time of the year) the Fieldfare and Redwing seem to have deserted this area now.As I reached Abbey Mead,which was partly iced over,the first of the sleet showers started to fall.The lake and its surrounds held - Pochard 18 (there are now about 60 in the New Hythe/Leybourne area,nothing like their former numbers),Tufted Duck 20+,Mallard 4,Shoveler 1,Gadwall 6,G C Grebe 2,Little Grebe 4,Cormorant 6,Jay 1 and Kingfisher 1.On crossing the railway,Steve Nunn was waiting on the other side,he was hoping to find the Smew he had seen on Abbey Mead yesterday,but I think it must have flown.From this point on I was in a rush,it was now 10:am and I had promised to be home by this time.I walked back to the car-park down the Millstream path, only adding Mute Swan 2 and Redwing 20,to the list(33 in all)which was rather poor.At the far end,I saw a charm of Goldfinch in one of the small Alders which line the stream,one bird looked interesting,which I thought could be either a Goldfinch X Redpoll,or Goldfinch X Greenfinch.I would be interested if any readers have any thoughts on what it might be.
Although I looked hard,I didn`t see House Sparrow or Starling until I was back in the village (how times change).
When I got home I glanced out of the Kitchen window and saw my first Blackcap (female) of the winter.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan. Not a bad walk really. Some good birds you found there. As for the Finch-X, not sure, sorry.

    ReplyDelete