Wednesday 20 January 2010

I was out this morning between 9.am - 1030 most of the time it was dull and overcast,also rather cold.I parked in the Brookland car-park,where it was nice to see the continued presence of the Goldfinches and the red-head Goldeneye on the lake.I then walked out to the river where there was a good number of Lapwing at least 40 birds,along with 6 Gadwall,60 Teal,1 Dabchick,1 Shelduck and 1 Snipe.As I walked past the sunken marsh a Water Rail called and 25 Stock Dove flew over north.Duck numbers on Abbey Mead are now rather low,just 50+ Tufted Duck,8 Gadwall,6 Pochard,14 Mallard,60+ Coot and 6 Crested Grebe.I had a quick look at the Heronry where I saw 2 birds.I then continued over the rail and back to the car along the millstream path.The only birds of note being 3 Woodcock which flew across the path as I walked through the west scrub.I think they were probably put up by two dogs that were crashing all through the bushes,yet again.On my way around I met Phil Sharp who informed me that the red-head Smew can now be seen on the motorway lake.

I was back again in the afternoon and had two nets up in the west scrub - birds ringed - Blackbird 1,Long tailed Tit 3,I also had 4 retraps,3 long-tailed Tits and 1 Great Tit all of which were first caught in the west scrub either in 08 or 09.

No comments:

Post a Comment