Monday 1 February 2010

A frosty start to the day,remaining mainly bright but cold 1.pm-2.30pm.On my arrival the river was already partly covering the salt marsh and at its peak at 2.30pm was almost level with the top of the wall.Birds of note in the meadows were 72 Lapwing,16 Magpie,42 Linnet,6Fieldfare and 2 Green Woodpeckers.As I made my way along the wall to check on the wader roost which is at the far end of the Common I flushed 4 Snipe,2 Common Sandpiper,8 Redshank,2 Meadow Pipits and 2 Rock Pipits,the last of which I found very hard to get close to unlike the birds I have met with in coastal locations.I arrived at the wader roost just before it was completely covered by water where I found,40+ Redshank,6 Curlew and 6 Shelduck.On my way back a Kestral was seen hovering over the far bank at Wouldham and a lone Greylag flew along the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment