Friday 3 December 2010

No snow fell today but it remained cold 1.pm-3.pm.
The Slavonian Grebe remains on Brookland lake and a Goldeneye that was also seen there is probably the same bird that was on the Trout lake,as that lake along with Alders are now both frozen over.Along the river (60) Teal (2) Redshank (1) Heron (6) Lapwing and a Kingfisher were seen.At least (8) Snipe were flushed from around the lakes and Redwings along with smaller numbers of Fieldfare were flying about everywhere.Wildfowl numbers are on the increase,I estimate there now to be at least (70) Pochard (45) Shoveler and (50) Gadwall in the area.
On Tesco lake I found (4) Wigeon and what is probably a second SLAVONIAN GREBE.I will go back tomorrow for a better look,as at the moment in my book its a Slav/Black-necked.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Alan

    I spoke to one of the fishermen at Brookland Lake last week who told me he had seen 2x Slav Grebes on Brookland on the Saturday that the bird was first reported - I pointed out the Slav to him and he confirmed there had been'two of those' - he though they were young GC Grebe. Nice Snipe shot!

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan.
    Nice find today.Good photo of the Snipe as well.
    Scrappy's master looks a bit like you, but there aren't any bins or hat Alan, so it can't be you........can it?? HaHa
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Adam the bird I saw on Tesco today is probably one of those then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ken,I think its probably me,its got no hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Snipe shot Alan. Looking forward to hearing which Grebe you found.
    Thought you looked a bit chilly when I saw you today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the dogs got a long wait.

    ReplyDelete