Monday 4 April 2011

I had two early Nightingales at New Hythe this morning.One was in the scrub by the water treatment entrance and the other near the pylon in the east scrub,I also heard a Willow Warbler.

I`ve had a Nightingale before on the 4th,but that was way back during the 80s.Now that the wind has turned round to the SW,the last few days have been good,what with the early Common Tern and now the Nightingales,but strangely hirundines are still in short supply,at least in our area,but there again it is still early.

Phil Sharp had two Nightingales at Abbey Mead today,so that makes four in all.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Alan, Nice Blackcap and great to the hear Nightingales early

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,yes nice and early,I had one of the 4th before,many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan ,
    If I was mischevious , I'd ask which 80s you were talking about , but I won't !
    I bet after the cloud came over , they'd be wishing they had left it a while .
    Great early record .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alan. Really like your Blackcap shot, it's so hard to get one in the open. At about one o'clock this afternoon there was a decent flock of Sand Martins and a couple of Swallows over the sunken marsh area, but they are still quite patchy aren't they.
    Not sure what to think about Whooper jnr, will you be ticking it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil,it all depends on how long it stays around,April is quite late for a wild bird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Greenie,yes nice and early for four birds.

    ReplyDelete