Thursday 21 April 2011

I was in Maidstone for the best part of the morning,but when I got home at about 10.30 I had a little spare time on my hands so I thought I would have a quick walk around the Sunken marsh.When I was about halfway around (northeast corner) I bumped into Terry,Phil,Dennis and Doreen,who were doing a skywatch,hoping for a Hobby I believe,but in the case of Phil I think he was wishing for a Red Kite.As it was before I had arrived they hadn`t seen a raptor of any description,but only minutes later Phil picked up a Buzzard flying from west to east over Burham church,it then caught a thermal and spiralled up over Eccles until lost to view.Its always a good idea to keep on a raptor because at times they are joined by others.The only other birds of note I saw during my short stay there was the two now regular Oystercatchers.I then left them to it and on the walk back I managed to take several photo`s of a Cetti`s Warbler and a Cuckoo,the last of which was playing hide and seek in some willows on the banks of Brookland lake.On the only occasion it came out into the open I manage to take some reasonable shots,but as always wished I could have been just that little bit closer.

After I had gone Phil and Terry had another Marsh Harrier

I think we might have to call the northeast corner of the Sunken marsh,The New Hythe Raptor Watch Point.It is a good place to watch from but I think personally I prefer to watch from the Brookland mound,but having said that you do feel a bit obvious stuck on top there.

No comments:

Post a Comment