Saturday 19 November 2011

Just as I was starting my walk around Holborough marsh this afternoon(13:30),I bumped into the Tortoise Man and his son on their way back.They had gone there in the hope of seeing a flock of Bearded Tits that are frequenting the main reed-bed.Although they had no luck in finding the Tits they were more than compensated when they found a nice drake GOOSANDER on the river,unfortunately for me it had flown off shortly after (the Tits will usually stay in the area until at least the beginning of March,although they may move the short distance across the river to Burham at some stage).

Birds of note that I saw were (4) Redshank,(4) Snipe (1) Little Egret (1) Great Spotted Woodpecker (60+) Fieldfare and (20) flyover over Corn Buntings,which were probably going to roost for the night in the reed-beds at Burham.

I have just heard (18:30) from Phil Sharp that Jerry Warne had a Goosander on the river at New Hythe this afternoon,so it was more than likely the same bird.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alan
    The Goosander was seen by Jerry Warne on the river from the small wood at Brooklands this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,good,must have been the same bird,presuming of course it was a drake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan, thanks for mentioning about the Male Goosander for us mate, Ive just posted up a poor pic of it on my blog. It looked better in the camera!(dont they always). Credit has to go to my 9 year old son though, he has a good eye. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete