Wednesday 8 January 2014

On my first visit to New Hythe in 2014,on the 6th.I totalled a rather lowly 43 species,the tide being high though didn`t help
.
This morning under slightly better conditions and a falling tide,I added a further eight.Four were seen in the first five minutes between the car park and river,Kestral,Jackdaw,Little Grebe and Reed Bunting.At the river I saw,Lapwing,Redshank and Common Buzzard.Number eight,a Grey Wagtail was seen running around a flooded area in the West Scrub,where I had gone looking for Woodcock,without any luck,I must add.Although my New Hythe total for the year now stands at 51,I have seen nothing of note,thus far.

Small numbers of  Fieldfare and Redwing continue to be seen,whilst Siskin and Redpoll remain scarce.Blackbirds on the other hand appear at the moment to be in every bush.

I was pleased to see some of the mature Hawthorn in the East Scrub is being coppiced,namely to help Nightingale numbers.More of this needs to be done in the Park,if we are to keep this special bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment