Tuesday 8 November 2016

After a tip off last night from Phil about a Whooper Swan on Abbey Meads,This morning I was down there nice and early.Firstly I set a net to hopefully catch a Redwing or two in the East Scrub and then walked the short distance to Abbey Meads.I saw the swan immediately feeding at the far end in the northeast corner.As I was watching it,blow me,another Whooper flew over high,calling as it went heading north.Scanning the lake again I came across seven Pochard and then a nice drake Goldeneye.As I turned to walk back to the net,I heard the calls of Wigeon.Looking up,fifty or more appeared over the lake and then flew off north.I have not had  an adrenaline rush like that at New Hythe in years.For a moment,I thought I was back in the 80s.When I got back to the net,I had a Song Thrush and yes,a Redwing waiting for me,great stuff.The recent cold Northerlies have certainly displaced a few birds.

Phil went to Abbey Meads later during the day and saw 46 Wigeon on Abbey Meads.So I believe some of the birds I saw earlier may have returned.When I saw them I thought they may have flown up from the river,which flows past the lake.

1 comment: